Are you buzzing about World Bee Day? We certainly are! And what better time to wax lyrical about how great the furry little things are.
Bees are so essential to our everyday lives – and not just because of the delicious honey they produce! Sadly, their population is in decline and if they continue to die out, the ripple effect could be catastrophic.
What’s the buzz about bees?
They’re the bee’s knees! Not only that, but they do incredibly important work that helps us survive. Bees help to pollinate around 80% of flowering plants, which provide homes for wildlife, as well as supplying the food we need to live.
Alongside the beautiful flowers that brighten up our day, bees pollinate things like broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries and apples to name just a few. If bees weren’t around, it would cost UK farmers around £1.8 billion each year to manually pollinate these plants.
Bees are in danger across the globe as toxic pesticides are destroying their habitats. Plus, urban developments and new farming methods are reducing the places that bees can live.
Still not convinced about how awesome bees are? Maybe these fun facts will change your mind – happy World Bee Day!
10 facts about bees
1. They’re always watching you! Well, not quite – but they have five eyes, so they may well be spying on you while they go about their business.
2. Bees have got a real need for speed! In fact, they can reach top speeds of up to 20mph while flying, which is no doubt helped by them having two sets of wings.
3. They’re egg-cellent – especially the Queens. That’s because Queen bees can lay up to 2,000 eggs every single day. That’s a lot of kids to keep track of!
4. Bee-lieve it or not, they’re absolutely ancient! Bees weren’t quite around to make friends with the dinosaurs, but they have been buzzing about for around 30 million years.
5. If you thought the TARDIS was roomy, wait until you look inside a beehive! They may not seem too spacious, but the average hive can hold 50,000 bees. Imagine the queue for the bathroom in the morning!
6. A bee’s brain is the size of a poppy seed – but don’t let that fool you into thinking they’re not clever! They’re incredibly smart and scientists have even managed to train them to score a goal playing ‘bee football’ in exchange for a sugary reward.
7. Hansel and Gretel used breadcrumbs to find their way back, but bees make much less of a mess! They can smell their own footprints and use this scent to avoid flowers they’ve already visited. Can anybody smell cheese?
8. Contrary to what Destiny’s Child think, bees certainly are ready for this jelly! That’s because if the Queen dies, the worker bees elect a new one by picking a young larva. The chosen one is then fed ‘royal jelly’, allowing it to grow into a fertile Queen.
9. Bees love to make a song and dance out of everything! Okay, they (probably) can’t sing, but they do perform a ‘waggle dance’. They’re not busting a move just to show off – they actually do this to communicate where the best food sources are to the rest of the hive.
10. They’ve got a sting in their tail! Or, to be more precise, the females have a sting in their tail – sorry fellas. But the ladies better be careful because if they end up using their stinger, it’ll be the last thing they ever do.
Take one of our bee-themed slots for a spin!
Buzzing to get playing? We’ve got plenty of bee-themed slots for you to enjoy on World Bee Day. Take on Bee Frenzy and add a 1,000x multiplier to the honey pot if you can track down the Queen. Or get more for your honey with Beez Kneez, with a Prize Pick feature that awards big cash prizes.
If you fancy something a bit sweeter you could always try your hand at Honey Rush, Honey Honey Honey or Follow The Honey. And like all of our slots, you’ll get money back every time you play and anything you win is yours to keep as cash. Enjoy!