Roooooaaaar! It’s International Tiger Day so we’re celebrating all things tiger here at OJO HQ. We all love tigers in one way or another. Whether it’s the fluffy (but scary!) creatures in the wild or the loveable characters from our favourite films.
This year’s International Tiger Day is even bigger than ever as it coincides with the year of the tiger in the Chinese Zodiac. The tiger is said to be a symbol of strength and bravery. In fact, many children in China will traditionally wear hats or shoes bearing tigers for good luck.
There’s a lot to love about tigers but there’s also plenty we don’t know. So, we’ve put together some fun facts because every day’s a school day! Plus, if you fancy going for a spin on International Tiger Day, we’ve got plenty of tiger-themed slots waiting in our casino.
10 fun facts about tigers
- They may look cute and cuddly but don’t get too close – they’re pretty intimidating! Tigers can weigh more than 360kg and can grow to be longer than three metres.
- While plenty of people around the world are going vegan, nobody gave tigers the memo. The furry carnivores just love eating meat! They don’t eat that often though and one deer can provide them with enough food to last a week.
- Cats generally hate water, but tigers seem to be the exception. They love to swim and as many of them are native to hot countries, they like nothing more than a dip in a stream to cool off.
- Tigers aren’t quiet creatures and their roars can be heard from 3km away. At least you’ll have plenty of warning if one’s around, although it won’t take them long to get close as they can hit running speeds of up to 40mph.
- Just like a snowflake or a Wetherspoons carpet, tigers are unique. No two tigers have the same stripes. And their stripes are not just on their fur, they go all the way through to their skin.
- Sadly, tigers are endangered, and their population has shrunk by 95% over the last 150 years. There are now just 4,000 tigers left in the wild, with the majority of them living in India. In fact, there are actually more tigers in captivity in America than there are in the wild. We blame you, Joe Exotic!
- Tigers don’t just keep it in the family, they’ve been known to mate with other big cats. The offspring of a male tiger and a female lion is known as a tigon. Meanwhile, a male lion and female tiger’s cub is called a liger.
- We can’t confirm this one (and we’re not sure we want to!) but a tiger’s urine is known to smell like buttered popcorn. Next time you’re at the cinema, double check the ingredients before you buy your snacks!
- Tigers are very good at impressions! They can mimic the calls of other animals in order to lure them into their trap before enjoying a tasty lunch.
- Luckily for us, tigers rarely see humans as prey. They’ll only attack you if they feel threatened so our best advice would be to stay away from their territory!
Fancy a spin on one of our tiger-themed slots? Go get ‘em, tiger!
- Tiger Rush – Get the scatter symbol on reels 1 and 5 and not only will you trigger five free spins, the paylines will also increase to 25.
- Tiger Kingdom Infinity Reels – Trigger the bonus game for the chance to play for extra symbols, which can increase your winnings.
- Tiger’s Glory – Landing scatter symbols can trigger free spins, which can lead to the Enraged Tiger going into battle and trigger further free spins.
- Tiger Stacks – Cover enough of the reels and play for one of three jackpots, giving you the chance to win big.
- Tiger Tiger Wild Life – Land a collect symbol on reel five to collect all the money symbols, which could lead to jackpot wins.
- 9 Tigers – The clue’s in the name! Fill the reels with nine tigers and you’ll unlock nine free spins.